Pattern: Co-Located TeamsTeams that work together in person develop naturally closer relationships and better collaborative problem-solving abilities, which in turn nurtures greater innovation
An organization that is moving to cloud native has multiple offices and office buildings.Teams that are targeted to move to cloud native have individual members located in multiple physical locations.
In This Context
When team members are located in different places, they tend to communicate less and focus on their jobs rather than personal relationships. This hobbles team problem-solving, because individuals will attempt to solve problems separately and then contribute that solution back to the team—rather than solving them collaboratively with teammates.
- Creative teams especially are more effective when personal relationships are on a higher level.
- Complex communication is better in person.
- Cloud native is a paradigm shift that requires new ways of working and creative problem-solving.
All members of a given dev team will work in the same physical location and meetdaily.All meetings and collaboration will be first done using whiteboards, pen and paper,etc. Teams will be chosen based on location. If the team is in the same office, then move the members to sit at adjacent desks.
- Periodic team-building events to strengthen personal relationships.
- Encourage the team to talk to one another in person.
- Consider pair programming.
High level of trust and proximity naturally increases collaboration.
- Quick and effective communication.
- Not always possible due to distribution of teams.
- Possibility of personal conflict exists.